- This event has passed.
The Gdansk Shakespeare Festival
July 26, 2019 - August 4, 2019
Great spectacles, amazing actors and distinguished directors, along with an unusual atmosphere will fill the Shakespeare Theatre in Gdańsk. This year’s edition of the Shakespeare Festival will last from July 26th to August 4th. This is a great opportunity to watch incredible spectacles played by the greatest actors.
The venue of the Shakespeare Festival
The place of the event is the Gdansk Shakespeare Theatre on 1 Wojciecha Bogusławskiego Street.
This edition is dedicated to theatre plays written not only by Shakespeare but also by artists inspired by his work. In the Main Trend, you can watch:
– “Jak wam się podoba” (“How do you like it”) by Krystyna Janda, Teatr Wybrzeże, Gdańsk, Poland
– “Lady Makbet”, choreography by Walter Matteini & Ina Broeckx, imPerfect Dancers, Italy
– “Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern are dead”, text by Tom Stoppard, directed by Tapasztó Erno, Aradi Kamaraszinhaz, feat. The Tiger Lillies, Hungary, Romania, UK
– “Romeo and Juliette”; directed by Lusine Yernjakyan, Yerevan State Chamber Theatre, Armenia
– “Titus Andronicus” directed by Igor Vuk Torbica, Zagrebacko kazaliste mladih (Youth Theatre in Zagreb),
– “The knight of the burning pestle” text by Francis Beaumont, directed by Declan Donnellan, Cheek by Jowl/The Moscow Pushkin Drama Theatre, UK/Russia
– “Rome” inspired by Shakespeare’s books: “Coriolanus”, and “Julius Caesar”, “Antony and Cleopatra” adaptation: John von Duffel, directed by Karin Henkel, Deutsches Theater, Berlin, Germany
– “Wujaszek Maroje Reaktywacja” text by Marin Drzić, directed by Paolo Tisljarić, co-production: House of Marin Drzić, Marin Drzić Theatre and Midsummer Scene, Croatia, Great Britain
In addition, there will be a concert by a British trio The Tiger Lillies.
The organizers also announce a competition for the Golden Yorick (for the best Shakespeare adaptation of the season).
Tickets for the Festival are available on the official website of the event:
www.bilety.teatrszekspirowski.pl or in the cash desks in the Shakespeare Theatre in Gdańsk every day from 1 pm to 8 pm.