- This event has passed.
Architecture Weekend in Gdynia
August 27 - August 30
Since its very first edition, the „Architecture Weekend” in Gdynia is an open event. It is for all who are interested in both modern architecture and the issue of the development of cities. Year after year this event is gaining new participants and also enables an opportunity for creative joining into the „open source” formula for groups of artists, young designers as well as experienced architects. The discussion panels and thematical workshops have become more and more important events.
This year’s festival revolves around the motto „anticipation”, focusing especially on its role and the need for not only prediction but also the quick adjustment to the expectation of the society. There is a great need for a thorough discussion about ways in which architects and urbanists are going to react to the global challenges that await us.
One of the most bothering problems today is the constant deficiency in the number of flats in the city centers, which results in social as well as cultural exclusion. Other challenges are the pro-ecological issues (including the reduction of CO2 emission and saving energy) and also the need for „visionary” design among many including the more and more real risk coming from the greenhouse effect. This year another important factor came to the fore – pandemic resistance. It’s hardly possible to enter the decades of the new millennium spontaneously, without any reflection or various work scenarios prepared.
- X Architecture Weekend in Gdynia
- Date: 27th-30th August 2020
- Event’s motto: A N T I C I P A T I O N
- Realised by: Agencja Rozwoju Gdyni (on behalf of the city of Gdynia)
- Festival curators: Małgorzata Jędrzejczyk and Michał Stangel
Goals of the event
- Education and popularization of the crucial issues and latest knowledge concerning architecture, designing and city development
- Creating a versatile and effective platform for discussions about the vision of the development of modern architecture as well as issues concerning the preservation of its inheritance.
Main components of the event
- 28-30 August – Archi Lecture: a 3-day program of lectures and talks revolving around the topic of the city, modern architecture, including the expected changes and history of modernism
- 8-29 August – Archi Debates: two thematical debates devoted to cities and modern architecture
- 27-30 August – Archi Film Block: a program of five documentaries about the city-social aspects and architectural aspects.
- 27-30 August: Archi Walks: a program of special, festival Architectural Walks, including the premiere of new routes in the Gdynia Modernism Trail and guided tours conducted by the architects of the Arch Deco art workshop.
- 27 August – “Photo Day” – a wide spectrum of offers for the architecture photography enthusiasts, including Gdynia modernism (exhibitions, Photo-walk, contest vernissage, evening Photo-Projections)
- 27 – 30 August – Festival Exhibitions – prepared especially for the 10th edition Architecture Weekend, available from the very first day until the end of the festival.
Find out more at modernizmgdyni.pl
Text source: Agencja Rozwoju Gdyni (on behalf of the city of Gdynia)